- 1 pound pancetta, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 4 slices of prosciutto cut in shreds
- 1/2 lb asparagus cut in 1 inch pieces and set aside
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- 1-1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 pound dried fettuccine
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat a large sauté pan, until hot. Add pancetta and sauté until golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes. Season with black pepper and remove pan from heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and cream. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in peas and 3/4 Parmesan, reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish.
- In a large pot, boil 6 quarts of salted water. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the asparagus for the last minute before pasta is ready. Drain pasta in a colander. Do not rinse with water; you want to retain the pasta's natural starches so that the sauce will stick. While the pasta is still hot, return it back to the pot.
- Add the browned pancetta and mix well. Add the cream mixture and coat the pasta completely. It's important to work quickly while the pasta is still warm so that the cream mixture will cook, but not curdle. Add remaining Parmesan and chopped parsley.